Monday, November 8, 2010

in steam room, SPIRITUAL experience?

For the past couple years, after my routine workout at the gym, I've escaped to the steam room to relax and meditate. I wouldn't consider myself an exceptionally spiritual person, but I have found that present, thought-clearing mediation helps bring my cares and stresses back into balance. Sometimes you've just got to brush up your yin, and smooth out your yang to function properly. I do at least.
Anyways, as I've been gone all summer, I've delinquently strayed from my habit of meditation due to a busy work schedule (and lack of steam room). So the other day, I went to the gym with my brother, and naturally decided to "steam-room-it-up" after our workout.
There was nothing unordinary about how I changed into my towel, or what I was thinking. I was probably thinking about what I was going to eat/drink when I got home. But upon entering the steam room, it was like I was hit by a cannonball of joy (along with piping hot steam). It was as if the cloud of steam was a trillion molecules of happiness engulfing and zapping my body. I sat down on the wet tile, and it was the strangest experience. The walls, the steam, the floor, the glass door were laughing at me. Or with me I should say, because a moment later, laughter came exploding out of me. I couldn't keep it in. It was as if I was surrounded by a bunch of friends that had been highly-anticipating my arrival. My brother walked in a few minutes later and asked why I was laughing. I had to tell him I had no idea why.
Could it simply have been a trigger of my subconscious--just a positive association with the steam room? Maybe.
Could have been a glimpse into the much sought-after state of enlightenment? Possibly.
Could I be crazy? Likely.
Or perhaps my steam room just missed me.
Whatever it was, I liked it.
(Those of you that have a hard time focusing with meditation, I highly recommend trying it in a steam room. A little intense heat can help with the concentration.)

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way every time I visit this little garden where I used to practice Tai Chi. You're very correct. The physical, sensual, and emotional part of you is also tied to your meditation (mental) time in the steam room. So your entire being probably rejoiced as the familiar senses were awakened. For me, and the little garden, it’s the sound of the wind in the trees, and the knocking of the bamboo, the feel of the sun and gentle breezes on my face, and the smell of the grass, that immediately take me back to the peace I felt in my Tai Chi days there.

    Oh by the way, Hello Beesh. Today is the first time I’m visiting your blog. It’s nice to meet you. :)

    ReplyDelete